We are proud to be a Church that spans the generations of local families. With God as our focus, we lean on the talents of our congregation to serve God through weekly Church services and a variety of mid-week organisations.
“The first Presbyterian congregation in the area was in Glenavy where Mr Matthew Haltridge was ordained and installed in 1674. In 1713 Ballinderry became a separate congregation, with members from Glenavy and Moira, although it was 1724 before the first minister Mr John Hasty was ordained. The congregation was united with Moira in 1929 and the Rev Robert George McFarland was installed in March 1929 as the first minister of this united charge. A church hall was built in the early 1950s and a second church hall was opened in March 1990. In 2000 a new extension was added, linking the new church hall to the Stables Hall.
The union with Moira was ended in October 2000. In June 2001, the Rev William Henry, minister of Maze Presbyterian Church, was appointed Stated Supply Minister at Ballinderry and preaches there most weeks. During Mr Henry’s ministry a new extension was added to the minister’s room, greatly improving the church’s facilities. It was opened in May 2005 by the Rev Bobby Liddle, Moderator of Dromore Presbytery.”
‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’, by John Kelly.
Since then, Ballinderry Presbyterian Church has continued to thrive and was proud to have been represented by Rt Rev Dr William Henry during his term as Moderator of The Presbyterian Church in Ireland.
William’s theme for his Moderatorship was ‘Enjoying God’ and we intend to keep this theme as a lasting legacy within our congregation.